Dear Camden,
Well, it happened. You turned FIVE. I can't believe it. In your mind, you've been 'almost five' for about eight months, and now you are officially five.
Favorite Video Game?
You only have two games. Batman Lego and Star Wars Lego, and right now Star Wars is your favorite...
It actually make for some pretty interesting discussions between us. We talk about good versus bad, and how Anakin's bad choices affected not only him but also everyone else. We also talk about how, in the end, Darth Vader chose good and redeemed himself. Yes, your mommy makes life lessons out of a video game. She's cool like that.
Favorite TV Show?
Wild Kratts.
You are obsessed, and I love hearing all about the honey badger, cheetahs, python, and gazelles. The other day you asked me if I knew that pythons can swallow an animal in one bite. You seemed a little too excited about that fact.
Favorite Book?
You like the Magic Tree House series...
and you love the Jesus Storybook Bible your dad reads to you every night!
Favorite Toys?
Legos. Star Wars Legos. Legos. Your Imaginext Collection. This includes your monkey village, Batman cave, Dragon Castle, Fire Department, Space Shuttle, and Aircraft Carrier. They all become one village where Batman pummels Joker and Penguin, and Lego Darth Vader and Boba Fett jump in on the action with Obi Wan.
Just a few of the conversations we've had lately that make me giggle...Camden: I sorta got in timeout today...
Me: What did you do?
Camden: I ran up the stairs.
Me: Well you know running is against the rules...
Camden: My brain said not to... but my body couldn't help it and it ran anyway.
Me: I CANNOT find my keys. I give up... I have looked everywhere!!!
Camden: Mom! Remember what you said!
Me: What?
Camden: McDonalds NEVER give up!
Me: No we don't, babe. Thanks for the reminder.
We're crazy about you, Camden McDonald. You are so stinkin' smart and unbelievably imaginative. Sometimes I just watch you play in your own world of ninjas, jedis, and superheroes. You live in this amazing world where anything is possible, and I feel honored to step inside it.
Sometimes it's difficult to explain your imagination to others...
Like your family portrait.
This is your interpretation: Dad, Mom, Camden in a karate kick pose, and Caroline is a Ghost. Dad is a Kung Fu Ninja in this picture, Caroline has bendable legs, and the circle at the bottom of this page is a rock that shoots out bombs at bad guys. Just your typical family...
Your interpretation of Noah's ark. It seemed like a typical reproduction... until you mentioned that one of the logs (top center was actually a laser blaster to help fight the bad guys. Because the white dove with the olive branch could have been an enemy, right?
Next year you will be in Kindergarten and for many reasons (including fostering that imagination of yours) we will be homeschooling. We are already doing a reading curriculum together, and it has been such a privilege to share your joy of each accomplishment. With each month that edges closer to the next school year, I ache at the thought of what our days would be like if we had chosen to send you to school next year. Caroline is obsessed with you! She is all up in your business, which you enjoy for the most part. Sometimes she is downright sneaky and tries to annoy you on purpose. I just want you to know now; I get that. I see how she will slap you on the head, you push her back, and the she will come wailing about how you hit her. Your sister is a mess, but oh she adores you! Both of you together can come up with some crazy ideas. Sometimes you follow through on them... and have sit in time-out on opposite sides of the room.
You have a such a sweet giving heart, and it makes me melt when you have more than once handed me one of your toys and told me to give it to someone who doesn't have any. At bedtime you love to snuggle, get back scratches, and talk me into singing The Beatles 'Blackbird'. You will then act like you are asleep... until I walk out of the room, and I will hear you giggling. I'll remind you that 'I love you to the moon and back.' You'll remind me that 'I love you to the moon to the sun to the moon and back'. I'm one blessed mama.
Love you,
Mom





No comments:
Post a Comment