Thursday, November 29, 2007

Single Parenting is not for the weak!

My Little Man


You know the cliche 'He's bitten off more than he can chew?'...well I feel like I've done a lot of biting lately. First birthday parties, realtors, Halloween, house-hunting trips, loads of paperwork, moving dates, check-ups from doctors and dentists before we leave, scheduling final haircuts, Thanksgiving, Christmas shopping, holiday parties, Clean Sweep 2007 (good-bye roomy basement/hello new house with minimal storage), final get-togethers with friends, attending to a teething toddler (ironic how Camden had no teeth for the first ten months yet he has gotten three in the last three weeks), cleaning my 'for sale' house, etc. It's been a little overwhelming to say the least.

I was handling everything okay... until Aaron flew out to Houston on Sunday, leaving me alone with a teething Camden for four days. This wouldn't have been such a big deal, but not only has Camden been a little high maintenance so has our 'for sale' house because it has to be kept clean, and we must leave it when a realtor calls... which is just not easy with a Little Man around. The first few days of single parenting went fairly well, but I think we were both fading by Tuesday. Camden began saying "Da-Da-Da-Da" all of the time. He even looked at a man at Albertson's and asked "Da-Da?" I would call Aaron and continually ask, "Okay, so when does your flight come in on Wednesday?" I know a few full-time single parents, and I truly believe there is a special place for them in Heaven.

Where did all of the fruit puffs go?
(On the floor where you dumped them, Camden!)


Here are a few of the casualties while Aaron was gone...

1. Large bruised gash over left eye. Camden flew himself into the fireplace on Sunday night RIGHT after Daddy left. Little Man looks like he was in a fight... and lost.

2. Two chewed-up sippy cups. Gracie felt like she wasn't getting enough attention and reacted accordingly.

3. One box of Nilla wafers. Camden loves Nilla Wafers and remains quiet if they are continually fed to him. I didn't care how much sugar was in them; If he stopped crying and signed "more" he got a few.

4. A bottle of Infant Motrin... teething is a beast.

5. Everything in my kitchen cabinets. Because of the whole "house on market" thing, we can't baby proof the kitchen cabinets. Everything has been dug out and scattered at least a dozen times. He tried to drag a skillet around the kitchen this morning. Little Man has free reign and is LOVING it. Mommy is not as thrilled.

6. One size 5 New balance tennis shoe. Camden decided to use it as a bath toy while I was running the water for his bath. It is now hanging out to dry.

7. Two make-up brushes... found in the toilet bowl... now resting comfortably in the trash can. Apparently Little Man figured out how to lift the toilet lid. Mommy figured out she needs to keep the bathroom doors shut at all times.


Despite the madness, we made it through the week and now Aaron is home... Thank you Lord!!! We were so excited to pick Aaron up at the airport, and Camden loved watching the jet land. Little Man and Da-Da get to spend some quality time over the next couple of days. Maybe tonight I can finally put up my fall decorations (I admit I was a little embarrassed to show my house yesterday with pumpkins still on my front porch while everyone has their lights and garland out.) We are also having a girls night out tomorrow night, so I'm super excited about that.


Would you believe I have to blow dry his hair after a bath?
(Notice his super cool blue water? Big Thanks to Emily and Jason
for sending the Crayola Spout Cover and Colored Dotz!)


To end this blog, I would like to give a big shout-out to the following for keeping my head above water this week...

1. MOPS nursery workers who probably spent most of Monday morning holding a discontent Camden while Mommy got some adult conversation and much needed prayer.

2. Blues Clues... seriously. Camden sat and watched Blues Clues for 25 minutes straight the other night. We love Steve!

3. Betsy who lets us crash at her house while Realtors are in mine. She even fed us... twice!

4. Auntie Amie and Uncle Chad... Not only did they take our family Christmas pictures, but they also spent hours designing our Christmas Cards and ordering them for us. This is a major thing I will not have to worry about with everything else going on. (Especially since I am just now mailing out Little Man's Thank You cards from his first birthday-my deepest apologies to everyone for that.)

5. The thought of all of our family in OKC ...because I will undoubtedly be heading down there and sharing the wealth (Little Man) when Da-Da takes his next trip to Houston in a few weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yaaay! i'll be there!!!