Sunday, November 11, 2007

He's Got Skills

Ladies and Gentlemen, my little man's got rhythm... finally! Over the last couple of months, one could not help but notice there was a lack of baby-dancing going on at the McD house. My concerns mounted after we turned around Camden's car seat to face forward last month. I was taking him to OKC for the weekend, rocking out to my Ipod, and I could not help but notice the odd looks coming from the back seat. This was the first time Camden got a full view of Mommy driving (and rocking out), and instead of choosing to rock out with his mommy by kicking his legs or waving his little arms, my little man sat quietly with judgment clearly written on his face. How do I know Camden was judging me? Because he had the same look his daddy gives me when I rock out in the car with him! I was stunned by Camden's "too cool for school" attittude. I would expect it from Aaron...but from Camden? Seriously, I was listening to Bon Jovi... who doesn't rock out to Bon Jovi?? All was not lost though because a couple of weeks later, I noticed Little Man has a little bounce in his step while watching Little Einsteins. We made real headway on our trip to OKC last weekend when Camden began to bob his head and wave his hands to the music. Little man found his rhythm, and I am one proud mama! Now when I say, "Shake it Camden!" he begins to bounce and wave his hands. Of course, please don't expect this if you see him because the "I don't perform in front of others" rule still seems to apply here. Another thing he loves now is his daddy's guitar. He'll sit and watch Aaron play for long periods of time. Sometimes he'll bob his head to the music and then other times he'll try to join in with his daddy and strum a few chords.



Life with Little Man has gotten a little more complicated lately. He is finally beginning to notice when mommy leaves him. I dropped him off at the nursery before my MOPS meeting last Monday where he happily hangs out with his buddies... but not this time. Right away his lower lip began to quiver, so I tried the signature mommy move... you know the one where I attempt to quietly sneak out of the room without him noticing? Well...he noticed. He starts wailing, but I leave anyways, praying he'll calm down and begin playing with his friends. Twenty minutes later, I sit down with my nice hot breakfast eagerly geared for adult conversation when I hear a lady's voice shout out, "Camden McDonald's Mommy? You're needed in the nursery." All eyes are on me as I reluctantly get up and walk the path of shame because my kid is one of "those" kids. I walk in to see the poor nursery worker holding an angry, tear-stained Camden. I grab him, and he immediately calms down and pulls his chubby arms around my neck. Poor little guy! I called the trip a loss and headed home without my breakfast and adult conversation. Little man's fourth toothie fully appeared later on that afternoon. We'll go back in a couple of weeks to MOPS and determine whether it was his toothie or his mommy that made him so sad. (I'm praying that it was the toothie!)

Camden has officially conquered walking. He's on the go and getting into new things everyday. This week he is fascinated with the mop and my make-up brushes. He sneaks away with my make-up brushes, and I'll find him either eating them or brushing Grace (nice, huh?) . Last week he was obsessed with dragging blankets everywhere. I feel bad for him because a lot of toys had to be put up for now because we are showing the house often, so he is forced to get creative and play with random objects around the house.

I have been so busy dealing with moving stuff that I have forgotten about Thanksgiving... which means I should be gearing up for Black Friday!!! I have always LOVED shopping the day after Thanksgiving. I usually can convince some poor soul to join me in my endeavor of fighting through traffic and angry mobs to get into the stores. I don't really even buy anything; I just think it's fun to go. Last year I left my sweet baby for the first time (for a whole three hours) to shop around for awhile. I'm already scouting the black friday ads on the internet this year. One thing I've wanted to do is be hardcore and go to Kohls at 4am when they open, but more than once my mom has come to wake me up to go, and I quickly opt for another couple of hours of sleep before heading out to the masses. This year I'm determined to get up early with the other crazies and go after the early bird specials. Don't worry, I'm not one to drag my child into the chaos of Black Friday. He will be looked after and most likely spoiled by grandmas, aunties, and any others who deem my Black Friday shopping as "ridiculous." There are a couple of things I am interested in, so we'll just see if I can't beat out the other "crazies" before the deals are gone!

Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving and is enjoying the cold front that has FINALLY come!!!!! Yay!

No comments: