We're back and busy at the McD house. We were all supposed to leave on the Monday after the hurricane, but plans changed. Aaron headed back to Houston, but Camden, Gracie and I stayed in OKC the whole week because our dear friend Karen passed away that Sunday, and we were shocked and devastated. Karen's family moved next door to me when I was 13 years old, and her daughter April and I were in the same grade and became immediate friends. All of April's friends loved Karen and considered her a friend as well. She could give the best hugs, sing louder than any of us in the car, and intentionally embarrass April in front of boys (which made us laugh every time). If Karen spotted me outside, she would wave me into her house to sit and talk, even if April wasn't home. As the years went by Karen came to my showers, was there the day I got married, and hugged my sweet baby the first time she met him.
She is actually the one who inspired me to write a blog for Camden. On April's 18th Birthday, Karen handed her a packet of letters. She explained how through the years she had written April letters to tell her stories of what was going on during that time and had kept them until this birthday. Karen read one of the letters aloud to us, letting her signature Davis Oklahoma twang curl around each word, and I thought it was beautiful. I decided right then I would do something like that for my children, and this blog became that outlet for me. There are no words to explain how much she will be missed. Please lift a prayer for April and her family. Karen left behind an adoring husband, three children, three grandbabies, and April is expecting another sweet baby boy this winter.
We're still playing catch up from being gone so much, but Camden updates and pics will be up ASAP!
No comments:
Post a Comment