Sunday, August 26, 2007

Maybe He's Teething...

If I had a dollar for every time that's been said around here... I could have funded our dream trip to Rome. "Maybe he's teething..." is a common excuse for moms to explain why their child is abnormally grumpy or is crying for no reason. I had been one of those moms once upon a time, but then I concluded that Camden was just never going to get teeth. He would often drool, develop a low-grade fever, and chew on everything from the coffee table to Gracie's chicken-flavored Nylabone, but no teethies appeared. This went on for months. Last week Camden was quite the grumpy gus. It was like the colic monster had come back with a vengeance! I told Aaron either little man was teething or he had a complete personality change. I felt around his mouth and sure enough, there was a little bump on his bottom gums. It's official...ladies and gentlemen, Camden is almost 10 months old and FINALLY getting his first tooth!!!

We are very excited about this new development, but the whole teething process is taking longer than I had originally anticipated. I thought it would take a couple of days... but it has been a week, and his new teethies are still trying to cut through! We are all coping thanks to Motrin, teething tablets, and my arm (Camden would rather bite my arm than a toy, and I'm all for it if it means the teeth will come up faster!) Camden is not a fan of Orajel, and it's probably because I seem to only get it on his tongue more than anything else. He has really been a trooper for the last couple of days, except for a few random fits of neediness. Hopefully we'll be seeing one of his pearly whites soon!

Teething brought along another milestone for little man. He is now saying "Mama", "Nana", and "Lala". Camden will follow me saying "ma-ma-ma-ma-ma" in the sweetest voice. Whenever he is tired or in pain, it's more like "MAMAMA MAMA!"

Camden also has a new trick! He can wave "hi" and "bye-bye", sort of. Basically he can randomly wave to mommy, daddy, Gracie, and various objects around the house. As is custom with most children, he will not perform for anyone else 75 percent of the time. No matter how many times I'll say "Camden, wave bye-bye" when we are out in public, he'll stare off into space and act like he has no idea what "bye-bye" means. Of course, as soon as we leave, he'll start waving at the trees, flowers, etc. It's a work in progress.

We still do not have a working computer at home; thus the lengthy absence and picture less post. So many milestones and so little time to write about them! We're hoping to be up and running with a new computer this week!

3 comments:

Courtney said...

I totally understand your pain and story with the teething thing. Creighton is the same but yet, we still have NO SIGN OF TEETH! It's getting old for sure. Isn't it fun when they start doing things like talking and waving...I love it...she is so sweet when she waves and says "hi"...It makes me smile every time! GOod luck...we really should get together someday...Creighton and Camden would really like playing together I think!

Hannah E. said...

Congrats on the milestones! He's so cute....and growing way too fast. Hopefully we can see y'all soon. Oh yeah....and Jonah always had a couple months of "pre-teething hell" prior to about 2 or 3 weeks of "present-teething hell" while the tooth was pushing through. No one tells you how long of a process it can be sometimes. And think, that's just ONE tooth!!! AAARRRGGGGHHH. I feel your pain. We're in the 2-year molar stage. It just never seems to end... But people with teeth definitely look better than people with no teeth. =) So we're pushing on! (Like we have a choice.)

Sara said...

update, update! i miss your stories!!