Friday, January 5, 2007

I miss sleep.

Gracie The Protector!


Can I say how MUCH Camden rebels against sleep? Now I know he didn't get that from either Aaron or I. I love sleep and Aaron could sleep for like 12 hours straight if you let him. Camden has about three stages of sleep. The first is crying because he doesn't want to sleep. The second is his eyes closed and sucking on his pacifier. The third is spitting the pacifier out and looking like he is asleep. We call this the "faker" stage. He looks like he is in a deep sleep, but he is just waiting for you to put him down so he can open those wide eyes and start to cry again. After about 10 minute of the faker stage, you are probably safe to put him down about 75% of the time. It's always a gamble no matter how long it has been though.
His night time habits are:
1. Hopefully falling asleep at around 9:30 pm after his bath and feeding (this is after Aaron "the baby tamer" walks him around in the magic papoose for about 30 minutes.)
2. He wakes up around 2:00-3:00. It takes him about 45 minutes to eat. I change him and then try just about everything to get him back to sleep... this includes bribing. I have promised this kid everything from a pony to Disney World if he would just go to sleep. The books say you are not supposed to talk to them or make contact during nighttime feedings. I try this... but when little man is staring at me wide-eyed and has this huge grin on his face ... it's all over. It does stop being cute after about two hours though.
3. After he goes back to sleep, he'll sleep until about 6:30 in the morning. He is an early riser... and I am sooo not!
I have just got him down for a nap, and he'll will probably sleep for about an hour (hopefully). He is even wearing his Sleepy Head shirt in hopes of inspiring a long nap.


Camden rebelling against his nap time!


As you can see from the picture, he doesn't seem so inspired.
What has helped a lot is putting him on his belly during nap times only. He sleeps so much better! I can actually put him down when he is still a little awake, turn on the noise maker, and pat his bum for a few minutes and he is out. I'm too scared to do it at night time though. I tried to research online about SIDS and if it was really THAT important to put them on their backs or sides, and I came across some support group where these people have lost their babies. Of course I freak out, get teary-eyed, and run to the nursery to get him off of his stomach immediately. During the next nap time I got over it fast after he wouldn't sleep and put him back on his stomach. I know lots of babies sleep on their stomachs, but if I did that during the night, I wouldn't be able to sleep anyways. If I can't sleep, there is no point.

3 comments:

Sara said...

yea! i love to hear about my favorite little nephew!! thanks for the updates! i love it!

Betsy said...

It's all because Aaron told him that there was no Santa Claus- that is why he rebels against sleep- Camden told me so.

Necia said...

Ok, so you almost had me in tears with your commentary! You're so funny! I miss you girl! I can't help but notice how early your posts are made...goodness, you're hard core! :)