I think this event was in December, but I never added this story to the blog.
Camden's 'Explosion'
One morning, Camden was in Time Out duty in his room. Sometimes he gets a little dramatic and cries at all of mommy's unfairness. This is why I wasn't phased when I heard the screaming... then it turned into THE scream. Mommies can decipher their child's scream almost instantly, and this scream stopped my heart for a few seconds. I ran in there to a terrified Camden to see this...
and it was smoking
Anyone else get the irony of the socket cover?
and this was plugged IN the socket.
I sent the screaming TERRIFIED child out of the room and decided *with all of my electrical knowledge* to quickly unplug the very hot melty night light. That's when I saw this in the prongs...
What used to be a penny
February
Kindle Addiction
Notice that I didn't blog much last year? That's because Aaron got me a Kindle for Valentine's Day, and I spent way too much time reading. I share the account with several other ladies, so I was blessed with quite the library when I added my Kindle to the mix. I finally created a book list on Pinterest, so I can keep up with what I've read.
The Great Flood
During the Snowmageddon and negative 20 degree weather, lots of pipes were freezing and then bursting around town. We thought we had weather proofed our house fairly well, so we weren't as concerned.
This pic was taken a few days after the first Snowmageddon.
Past the snow-covered table and chairs is an outside faucet with a weather proof cover.
During the second Snowmageddon, the weather proof cover came off under the weight of the snow. A few days of thawing later, I'm enjoying some play time with the kiddos when I hear what sounds like someone taking a shower. I go back into our bedroom towards the bathroom, and my feet are engulfed in FREEZING water... on our beautiful fancy carpet... that is less than a year old. No...NO... NOOOOO... I thought. The water was pouring out of a vent into Aaron's closest, so I grab my phone, call Aaron, and start yanking his clothes out of the closet and tossing them into the bathtub.
Me: WATER is pouring EVERYwhere. HELP!!!!!
Aaron: What?
Me: A pipe burst. Water is GUSHING in your closet... it's pouring into the bathroom... into the bedroom. HELP!!!
Aaron: TURN OFF THE WATER LINE!
Me: !?!?!?!?!?
The conversation took a nose dive after that.
I had just gone through this exact same mess when I had to run over to poor Betsy Gregory's house as we desperately tried to stop her water. I knew the main water line was in the front yard, but the front yard was still covered in a few feet of snow. Picture me digging through snow to try and find it. Then picture me on the phone with city people begging for help. Then picture me saying a a few choice words as the water starts pouring into MY closet, and I'm quickly chunking my stuff into the bathtub, on my bed, wherever it will go. It was ugly.
Thirty minutes later, the water was off. A few inches of water floated through our bathroom and closets, and was it quickly seeping into my bedroom carpet. The restoration people came and ripped up my carpet, knocked out some dry wall, and set up some VERY loud fans that ended up making great noise machines for the kids during naptime and bedtime. Fortunately, all the repairs were minor, and after paying a hefty insurance deductible, everything that was affected was repaired or replaced. Unfortunately, there was not enough damage to require a demolition and insurance-paid remodel of my 1980s bathroom (Bummer!).
March
Spring Break Trip to Houston
Right around the second Snowmageddon and the Great Flood, I told Aaron we needed a Houston fix. Our families hung out with the kiddos, and we made a very peaceful drive down to South Texas with a much-needed stop at Buc-ee's along the way. Driving into Katy was way harder than I thought. As soon as we passed Camden's old pre-school, I began to get a little weepy. We went on a much needed Lupe Tortilla trip with friends, and I'm pretty sure the beef quesadillas made Aaron a little weepy. We spent the weekend shopping, eating favorite foods, and visiting so many sweet friends. On Sunday, we went to Kingsland, and it made me miss Houston that much more. We both agreed it was so strange being there without the kids, so the next Houston trip will definitely be a family one!
April
We spent most of the month thawing out after being frozen for the past few months.
May
The Month of Tornadoes
A very blurry picture of my babies spending a whole evening in a basement
Does anyone else feel like they spent most of May tracking the weather and taking cover in closets, shelters, and basements? I'm Oklahoma raised, so tornado watches don't phase me, and tornado warnings may have me listening to the weather man a little more. This year was a different story though. In our old Bville house, we had a concrete basement. With our latest house, we don't have a basement nor are we close to a shelter.
During this month the Joplin tornado hit, and the F5 near OKC was a apart of the same storm system that pushed through the entire state. Our goal in 2012 was to put in an underground shelter in the garage, so we wouldn't have the whole family (Gracie Dog obviously included) traipsing around all hours of the night trying to get underground. That goal is now on hold, so I'm praying the weather is going to behave itself this spring.
Mama Mobile
With two kids and a Boxer, we had officially outgrown my Trailblazer. Aaron wanted a minivan, and I wanted an SUV. There is nothing wrong with minivans, but I like the big tough look of an SUV because I'm a tiny person, so I'll take power wherever I can get it. After a few months of the minivan/SUV debate (which I won because I was the one who was going to be driving it everywhere), we bought a 2009 GMC Acadia. I LOVE her. She has bucket seats in the back, cool/heated front seats, an automatic starter, DVD players in the headrests, and all sorts of gadgets that I still don't understand. I wouldn't trade her for anything. We did have a dilemma though. I could not think of a name for her. I name all of my cars, and my friends still refer to them by name. Old Blue was my first car, a very reliable Ford Tempo. Barney, a surprise gift from dad, was a purple Sebring convertible. The two Aaron and I have owned together have been named Bullet (Honda) and TB for the TrailBlazer (not the most creative, but I was seven months pregnant and tired). This time it was Camden who stepped up and named her... The Green Lantern. Her back-up sensors and rear cameras really do make her a super hero, so I think it's a perfect name.
June
Potty Trained Caroline
Around 22 months, Caroline was trying to be a big girl and use the potty like her Bubby. I humored her every now and then, but I quickly realized that she was serious about it. A friend emailed me the coveted copy of 'Three Day Potty Training', and although I laughed at the idea of not only potty training a 23 month old but also in three days? Please. Camden was 2.5 years old, and I'm still a little scarred from the experience! I waited until after our family vacation to begin. I would give it three days, and if we weren't making progress than we would call it off. Day One went very well until she got a little tired in the afternoon and pee-pee'd in every room of the house in a span of a few hours. The second day was rough but hopeful. By the third day, we were only having one or two accidents a day. After a few weeks, she was only having one or two accidents a week. She was potty-trained by her second birthday, and I call that a miracle.
New Cousin
Camden and Caroline got to meet their new little cousin, Xander and cuddle with him for a while. Unfortunately, I have no pics of this event because right after we got to OKC my cell phone (camera as of late) fried itself, and to make matters worse someone hit my NEW car while I was stopped at a stop sign on the way to meet Baby Xander.
July
HOT.
The only thing I can remember about this month is that it.was.hot. Like 110 degree hot. Our A/C constantly running could not keep up with the heat. Our A/C would be on 73, and by the end of the day the house temp would be at 78. I had to do laundry at night, and the oven was rarely used. The kids could play in the early morning or late evening in the 'cool' temperatures of 80-90 degrees.
August
School Pics 2011
My Pre-K Little Man
My Little Miss and her first school pic
They even got one together.
So stinkin' precious!
September
College Football started. Enough said.
October
In this month, I turned thirty for the third time. Aaron and the kids made cupcakes, and he let the kids decorate them with loads of sprinkles. I LOVED them, and the kids were so proud of themselves!
They sang 'Happy Birthday' to me and helped me blow out the candles.
It made my day.
The night before Camden's birthday, we waited until he was asleep and then snuck in to decorate his room. We put up streamers and birthday signs and covered his floor with balloons. Luckily, Little Man sleeps like a rock! The next morning, we woke up to him giggling and screeching. We ran in there and yelled, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" The look on his face made my heart happy.
He walked around to see all of his decorations
Then he had to roll around in his balloons for awhile
before he stopped to ask, "How did you do this!?!"
It was the perfect way to start off his special day, and I'm pretty sure we've made a new tradition at our house.
Our Cool Night Out
The husband got me tickets to see Ben Folds and the OKC Philharmonic Orchestra, and we went out to dinner beforehand with Emily and Jason Yang at a 'hip' restaurant.. It felt like we were back in college. We stayed out past 10pm, and I was not ready to go home and crawl into my bed. Maybe my 'cool factor' went up a few notches that night? We've come a long way since the incident .
December
My Little Man was big enough to take to the Christmas Eve Candlelight service. Towards the end of the service (which he described as a little bo-ring), the kids got to go up to the front and sing 'Away In A Manger' while our Pastor went around with the microphone for the kids to sing solos if they wanted. Camden stepped up for the last verse, and he sang 'The wittle Lord Jesus asleep on the hay'. He even held the last note for a second. It was precious, and he received some compliments after the service.
We may have been a little hesitant to let the Little Man have a candle, but he did such a great job holding it up while we sang 'Silent Night'. It was a great way to start our Christmas celebrations.
2011 is DONE. I kept on wanting to just skip it and discuss our CRAZY 2012... but ultimately this blog is for the kids, and I wanted document everything for them. I think I have already posted more in the last two months than I had in 2011, so I'm off to a good start already. Next post will be about Baby McD #3 and NOT being pregnant for this one! Wahoo!!!!











No comments:
Post a Comment