Friday, May 8, 2009

Operation: Adorable Boxer Briefs... Failed Mission?

Could it be? Could I actually be typing from MY computer in my own house? Yes, folks, it's true. I'm downright giddy about it. OKC trip pics will be on it's way soon, but first I have to catch you guys up on the major event happening right now at the McD house.


Operation: Adorable Boxer Briefs is in its second day.
side note: we're technically not using boxer briefs yet because I will not spend the cash on those until I know they are not going to be filled with poopie every day. We are going with the Target Special cartoon character briefs for now.

It's only Day Two, and I'm over it. I'm beginning to think if the kid still wants to be in diapers when he goes to college, that's his problem. Here are some of my expectations and surprises...

I expected the Little Man to at least say "Uh-Oh" "Whoops!" or act like he did something wrong when he pee-pee'd on my carpet again and again... this hasn't happened.

I did NOT expect the Little Man to promptly get down on all floors, start panting, and act like he is a puppy about to lick up the pee-pee soaked carpet. This did happen.

I expected him to catch on after 48 hours and perhaps initiate the process with the words "pee!" "potty" or perhaps even running to the bathroom and pointing to it... I was kidding myself with those expectations.

I did NOT expect the Little Man to be so eager to help me clean up all of his puddles. "Help!" "Help!" "Puhleeeeaze!"

I was a little bit smart and expected him to tell me "No" if I asked, so I just take him every thirty minutes without even asking. Sure enough if I do ask him he shrieks "NO!" and his naked bum takes off and is hidden behind my curtains before I can finish the question.

After two days, I expected that he might actually go poo poo in the potty. Instead... he has poo-pooed in a nap time diaper, in his undies, on my carpet, and on my back porch. Ironically the back porch was the most difficult to clean because the Little Man stepped in it while backing away and I had to spray it down with the water hose. He has still not done his 'bizness' in the potty, and I'm not seeing a revelation coming anytime soon.

I expected a lot of messes, mistakes, and stressful moments, but this is nothing new when raising a Little Man, and I usually pull through them. I breastfed my baby for nine months and survived without sleep and with MANY painful clogged ducts... I toddler bed trained the Little Man at 18 months and dragged his little behind back to his bed up to 40 times a night the first few weeks... I endured 5 months of constant nausea and puking while staying at home with an energetic Little Man. Potty training? Child's play compared to what I have had to go through, right?

Folks, I overestimated myself. I did not take my pregnant girl patience status into account because THERE IS NONE! Patience is gone. This pregnant girl is already TIRED of bending over and cleaning up smashed poo, mopping up pee-pee spills, and chasing down an unwilling child and dragging him to the potty every thirty minutes. I don't think it's clicked in his head that he actually needs to pee in the potty and NOT all over my house.

I'm trying to follow the suggestions people gave...

1. Do not leave the house for the first week while potty training. The problem with this? I'm going CRAZY!

2. Do not use pull-ups because that will just delay the process. The problem with this?
I have a child acting like a puppy who wants to lap up pee pee spills on my carpet.

3. Reward him when he actually goes on the potty. The problem with this?
He gets a treat every thirty minutes because that's how often my kid has to go to bathroom even when we cut down on the water intake.

4. Do not use negativity or show frustration when he has an accident. The problem with this?
I am pregnant.

5. If he's not ready, then wait a few more months. The problem with this?
In a few months, I will be getting about three hours of sleep a night, constantly breastfeeding, and trying to soothe a crying newborn... not a good time for me. If I wait until all of that is over, Little Man will be three before we start this up again. If I actually go through with the cloth diapering thing (more on that later), the financing two kids in diapers will not be an issue. Having my child turning three and still not potty trained WILL be an issue.


I HATE failing at something. The Little Man gets his stubbornness from me, and I sometimes remind him that I am way more stubborn than he could try to be because I've had a lot more practice at it. I'm giving this operation another five days, and if there has not even been a minor breakthrough, I'm going to abort the mission and try again later. I may be stubborn, but there is only so much craziness this pregnant girl can handle.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Save the carpet, use the pull-ups! J/K (but seriously we did). You would be amazed what a little peer pressure can do -- a few months before Sam was born J was acting just like you described. S came home from the hospital and WHAM! wanted nothing to do with diapers.

Amanda said...

Oh girl, I can so relate to this. Potty training was the most trying thing I have ever done. After 6 months of potty training, my friend encouraged me that her son finally got it right after his 3rd b-day. Jackson ended up doing that very thing. Maybe that will be a magic milestone for Camden. I firmly believe that no pregnant woman should ever have to go through PT'ing unless she has no other choice!

chandra said...

Oh MY!!!! I am cracking up. I am sooo sorry. You hang in there girlfriend! I am not looking forward to this stage in life. I am glad you girls are going ahead of me.

megan k said...

I don't want to say it, but maybe he just isn't ready. Chloe is the last in her class to be 100% potty trained. I kind of feel bad but i kind of don't.

Here's unsolicited advice. We did do the reward thing and it worked for poop, not so much with pee pee.

Since Chloe has been converted (bed) she has reverted to going in her diaper. However I DID get mad and show frustration and it seemed to work, I think I scared the poop and it stays in until we get to the potty. Oh and we brought back rewards. yada yada yada

We also reverted back to diapers for the sake of the pocketbook. One day when she pooped in her pullup I said, "Alright that's it! You have to wear a baby diaper!!" I was thinking "that'll show her, she'll be sad I'm calling her a baby."

Her response, "Gasp?" eyes wide open, "Really? I get to wear a baby diaper? YAHHHHHHHH!!"