Thursday, December 17, 2009

Caroline's Scare

I thought the most dramatic thing I would have to write about this week is Camden's haircut (which is tragic by the way-absolutely tragic), but the Little Miss decided to steal the show. We had an incident this past weekend, and I've been debating on whether or not I actually want it included in the blog. I also didn't want to scare any preggers or newborn mommies out there, but I've decided to go ahead and include it in the blog for the time being.

On Sunday night I fed Caroline at 5:00am and put her back down to sleep. About 35 minutes later her Angel Care monitor's motion sensor went off. It had never gone off before, but I assumed it was a false alarm and ran in there to turn it off. I could see Caroline, and she looked very still... like a doll. I placed my hand on her back and could not feel her breathing. I then checked her mouth and nose and could not feel any breath. There was nothing blocking her airways, and she didn't seem to be choking on anything. She was just simply not breathing.

I then picked her up and lightly shook her, and she exhaled sharply and began breathing again. She stayed asleep, so I put her back in her crib and watched her for quite awhile. She seemed fine and was in a light sleep, tossing her little head back and forth every now and then. I, on the other hand, obviously couldn't sleep after that. She woke up that morning smiling and cooing, not even realizing the scare she had given me. She did not have another episode like again, but
The doctor wanted me to bring her in just in case. She checked Caroline's heartbeat, lungs, etc., and she looks and sounds perfectly healthy. Hallelujah!

We both decided Caroline could have choked on spit-up or drool since she had just eaten 30 minutes beforehand. From now on after a feeding I will hold her up for a little while before I put her back in bed. If (on the off chance) it happens again, I will need to take her in for some tests. I'm just thankful that a dear relative gave Caroline the monitor as a gift. I debated on whether to get a video monitor or the motion sensor monitor, but in the end, I chose the motion sensor. I never thought she would stop breathing; I just wanted one for my own peace of mind. I'm so thankful we have that monitor now because have I mentioned how fabulous I think she is?
Little Miss- There's no need to scare us like that again! Save the dramatics for the really bad haircuts you are sure to get in a few years!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh my goodness! You know, we have used a motion monitor with both our babies. I love it for the peace of mind it's given me. Ours has gone off now and then but it's usually because the baby got too far off into one corner. I have sort of been embarrassed to admit that we use this, but your experience makes me feel better about my choice. Thanks for sharing. And most of all, I'm glad your baby girl was okay!

megan k said...

Does she now roll to her belly?

There was a good article in Parents Mag just this week! the new mag.