Friday, August 14, 2009

Update


A little late I know... but we're out of the hospital. It turns out that Caroline did have a virus as they had first suspected. What about the blood culture that was positive for infection? Contaminated. That's right... my sweet baby had to go through all of that suffering the second time around because someone didn't wash their hands when they were handling her blood culture. I'm sad for her that we had to go through all of that again but am happy that it wasn't a blood infection, which would have landed us in the hospital for another week. We're so blessed to be healthy and back at home! Right now I'm trying to decide just how paranoid we should be about her keeping her germ free. We know we can't lock ourselves in the house to stay away from the germs, but I also don't want her going through that again. If we seem a little crazy by attacking you with GermX, staying away from large groups, or hiding her in the sling or car seat when out in public... understand that I never want to see my baby go through all of that pain again and will protect her accordingly. We've earned our right to be a little overprotective for now.

Moving on to the pictures!!! My sister came down to meet Miss Caroline when she was 9 days old, and she brought her camera equipment to take some newborn pictures. Taking newborn pictures is always an adventure (I got pooped on twice), but I love the way they turned out. I know I'm biased, but I think she's absolutely beautiful...





This cloth diaper obviously doesn't fit yet, but I wanted a picture of her wearing it now and then take her three month pictures in it to show how much she has grown.


What's been going on post hospital stay...
This week has been very difficult because we are still feeling the effects of Caroline's hospital stay. She now wants to be held all of time and cries when I put her down. She also does not sleep that well, thanks to the nurses waking her up every hour checking her vitals, administering antibiotics, etc while we were in the hospital. Before we went to the hospital she was waking every 2-3 hours at nights. Now she is waking every 45 min-2 hours during the night. Her pediatrician prescribed her Zantac for Reflux and still believes that she suffers from colic. My poor sweet baby can't catch a break right now, but she is still so precious and just needs some extra lovin' right now. I'm tired, but I know things will get better over the next couple of weeks.

Speaking of adjusting...
Camden is also reacting from all of the change-ups that have ensued over the last month. The Little Man is quick to have meltdowns, throw fits, run around like a wild banshee, and pretend to have a deaf ear. He is most definitely out of control when there is anyone else around. I can't blame him... I spend half my time nursing and the other half trying to keep Caroline content, which is difficult to do sometimes. I know he's bored, jealous, and acting out accordingly. I thought he might resent baby sister, but he surprisingly loves 'baby' and even shares Buzz and Zurg with her... which is huge! He gets very uncomfortable when she cries and tries to calm her by showing her a book or singing to her. It's precious! The Little Man will also be starting pre-school in a few weeks. This will help things out big time, but I'll go into that more later. For now, I must go feed my sweet baby (again) and love on her for the rest of the evening. Blog posts will be less sporadic when I don't have to choose between blogging or sleeping an extra half hour. Right now, sleep wins.

One of my favorite pics. I'm framing this one and hanging it in her room.
I never want to forget how tiny she was when she was born!

5 comments:

Misty said...

LOVE the pictures, those are great. Let me know next time she's in town ;)

megan k said...

so glad you updated.. i was worried.. so glad you are home!! i don't go to mc'd's b/c of germs. We went to Burger King the other day, with fam, and I had to take deep breaths when chloe walked around without socks or shoes. Still makes me panic. If bathing in germ-x wasn't harmful, they'd do it. :)

Did you get in someone's face about the contamination?

Megan said...

I don't blame you at all for being paranoid about germs. Nothing is as important as having a healthy baby. She is beautiful! Glad you guys are home and healthy. Good luck with the sleeping!

chandra said...

I can't wait to hold Miss Caroline! She is so sweet. I hope sleep is coming better for the gal.

Love ya,
Chandra

Angela said...

I LOVE THESE PICTURES! ABSOLUETLY BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!! :)