I spent the first week of October dreading Saturday, October 11th. This was the day I would take
Pre-Flight Warm-up
I tried as best I could to prepare myself for anything. The day before the flight I called Southwest airlines to make sure what the guidelines are for carry-ons, strollers, etc. The call ended up being a total waste because the lady was horribly rude and tried to convince me that his stroller would cost $25 to check in at the gate. (This ended up being completely false, and I wish I could call the lady back and tell her that not only was she wrong but she also completely hurt my feelings with her attitude.) There were some pre-flight jitters when Aaron couldn't find the Little Man's birth certificate. Because he was a few weeks shy of being 2 years old, I need documentation to prove he was under 2 years old and considered a free ride. Luckily, we called Southwest, and they told us to bring documentation with his birth date on it. We were on our way...
Round 1:
The check-in went smoothly with
Round 2: Security Check Point
Taking off my shoes, Camden’s shoes, getting Camden out of his stroller, placing the shoes, carry-on bag, and stroller through the X-ray machine, handing off the car seat to a security guy so he could check it, handing over IDs, getting checked … and doing all of this while holding on to a barefoot toddler and trying not to irritate everyone behind me. The delivery was a bit sloppy but overall a success.
Round 3: Getting on the Plane
I dropped
Once I found two seats together, I screamed SUCCESS! in my mind… but this is where I was thrown a curve ball. I failed to foresee that
The business man behind me took this opportunity to loudly complain about how horrible the flight was going to be with a screaming child and asked his friend next to him if he thought it would be a good idea to try and find another seat. I wanted to turn around and say something, but I was too busy trying to wrestle the Little Man into his car seat. Aaron called right about then to ask how everything was going, and all I could do was hiss "He hates the plane! This was so a bad idea!" and hang up.
Final Round: THE FLIGHT
I tried everything to calm him down... markers, books, sippy cups, snacks. He wouldn't stop screaming. There was one more thing I could use- my secret weapon. I brought my IPOD and headphones, and Aaron had downloaded Toy Story 2 on it the week before. I hesitated pulling it out because we hadn't taken off yet, and I didn't want to give him the IPOD just to have to take it away during the whole 'turn off all electronic devices' part of the flight. To give the Little Man hope of watching Toy Story and then take it away from him would be disastrous. I weighed my options and decided there were none. The trip was already disastrous, so I might as well have him calm for a few minutes.
I pulled out the IPOD and his screams immediately turn into cheers of "Buzz! Buzz!" He giggled, snatched the IPOD out of my hands, and stared into the screen.
A few minutes later, the flight attendant made her final rounds and asked if the Little Man's Ipod was off. I winced and told her no. She asked that I turn it off before take off. I nodded and reached over to turn it off but stopped. I had a dilemma. Do I ignore the flight attendant and break the rules, or do I turn it off and deal with a raging Camden during take off? You can guess which one I chose. Thanks to Buzz and Woody, Camden was quiet through the whole flight. We had a slight problem with kicking the man in front of him, but to Camden's defense, there was probably three inches of space between his car seat and the seat tray.
I started to breathe easier when the seat belt sign flashed back on and the flight attendant announced they were preparing for landing. When we landed, I was one of the first to get up. I didn't care that I had to drag the carry on bag, car seat, and the Little Man through the aisle again... I wanted off that plane! I was a little too eager when I leaped into the aisle with all of my cargo and was relieved to see the stroller waiting for me at the gate. We raced to the baggage claim where my parents were waiting, and I immediately handed over the Little Man. The trip was officially over, and I had conquered my fear of taking the Little Man on the plane. Did I want to do it again anytime soon? Absolutely not. That hour and a half flight was way more exhausting than the eight hour drive. Later that week I would find out the culprit of Camden's craziness... two year molars.


4 comments:
Oh goodness...plane rides with little ones are always interesting. Ok, I once accidentally left my phone on for an entire flight, and guess what! We didn't crash or anything!! I think the electronic device rules are a big scam.
Wow, you're so brave! I'm way too big a chicken to venture on a plane alone with Nicholas. I laughed at many of your comments (as always) bc I've been in those shoes myself. It's hard to tell which is the lesser of the two evils - a short, stressful flight or a long car drive. We're going to NM for Christmas, and it's hands down the drive this time. Wouldn't fight the airport chaos during a holiday! And those two year molars - I'm scared!
Glad to see the update. I really enjoy your stories! I look to them for help all the time!
~Luci Coca
You should've done the Rachel thing on Friends and 'flipped' him off. ;) Ya know, beating the side of your hands together... This may or may not be funny if you have no idea what I am talking about. I'm laughing though..
What a nightmare!! I will think twice before taking Cole on a plane by myself! Loved seeing you all though! Miss ya
Post a Comment