Monday, June 23, 2008

Dinosaur ROAR!

Apparently dinosaurs roar on my kitchen counter when I'm not around
because I did not take this picture...


Dinosaurs have officially taken over the McD house. It all started several months ago when I would read the board book Dinosaur Roar! to Camden. It was a gift from my mom last year, and it's a great antonym book. One day he caught on and started growling when I picked up the book. Now, whenever we say, "Camden, what does a dinosaur say?" He gives a low muttering, "rrrooooaaar!"
Cousin Addi caught on to Little Man's 'roars' while we were in OKC. Now when asked, "Addi, what does Camden say?" She'll respond with, "Rrrooar! He's a dinosaur!"

The Little Man loves his dinosaurs, and like the good manipulative parents that we are, we're obviously going to use this to our advantage. Here's how pathetic it's become...

Dinosaur STOMP!
Camden likes to take his sweet time going up and down the stairs with us. He will stop and play with the gate, peek his head through the stair rails, takes turns going up and down a few stairs, etc. Stair problems are in the past since the dinosaurs came. Didn't you know dinosaurs roar and stomp up and down the stairs without stopping? Now (with the coaxing of mom and dad) Camden gets down on all fours and climbs up the stairs stomping and roaring like a good dinosaur.


When we have potato painting time (great toddler activity!)
dinosaurs do not eat the paint, paint themselves, or try to paint dog dog's tail.


Dinosaur SLEEP!
Awhile back, I bought some jammies for the Little Man at Target. I usually don't look at what's on them; I just try to make sure they are in his size and they aren't TOO cheesy. I guess I grabbed a pair with dinosaurs and none of us noticed the dinosaurs until the 'roaring' began. Now they are his favorite jammies. Mommy reminds him that dinosaurs go right to sleep without becoming so angry they throw their pillow and blankie out of the crib and then become angrier because the blankie isn't in the crib anymore.


Dinosaurs do not eat their crayons. They also don't chunk the crayons across the room when mommy tells them to stop coloring the kitchen table.


Dinosaur EAT!
While I was in OKC, my mom and I took a childless trip to Target, which can just be dangerous. During our stroll through random aisles that I would never have the time for with the Little Man, we came across child lunch trays. They looked just like the ones from the school cafeteria (minus the ghastly salisbury steak slapped on it.). These trays were toddler-size and adorned with dinosaurs. Perfect! I tossed one into my basket. Later that evening, Little Man and I were at a total standoff at the dinner table. He wanted cookies, and I wanted him to eat his chicken and veggies. Little Man has yet to realize that I'm WAY more stubborn than he will ever be (see where he gets it from?), and I'm determined to dominate him! I let him out of his high chair, tell him he will NOT have a snack until he eats his veggies, and then rack my brain for ideas on how to get him to eat. Ah ha! Dinosaur tray! I rummage through my target sacks, pull it out, and then say in my most excited voice say,
"Camden! Look!!! A dinosaur tray!" That got his attention.
"Roar!!!" He lunges for the tray, but I hold it back.
Camden! Do you want to eat dinosaur food in the special dinosaur tray?"
"Roar!" I take this as a yes, ma'am.
Okay, Let's go make some dinosaur food." I reheat his food, place it on the tray, and pick a "special spot" on the floor where only dinosaurs eat.

Folks, mock me if you will, but it worked. Little Man ate the whole meal! Score one for me! (Thanks to the dinosaur plate.) Of course, immediately after dinner my mom and I pack the Little Man in the car, speed to target, and buy a back-up dinosaur tray and invest in a monkey one as well (the boy can do a mean monkey impersonation too.) Who knew a $3 tray could bring such peace in a home? Bless you Target!

If you see us stomping around Houston pretending to be dinosaurs, please ignore us. Dinosaurs also hold their mama's hand in public, play well with others, and get their diaper changed while laying perfectly still... at least until next month when Little Man has a new favorite, and we have to come up with an entirely new gimmick.

5 comments:

megan k said...

Umm, that's really funny.

Hannah E. said...

That's great. Very cute.
Angela talked about y'all making a trip up here - come see us! =)

Jennifer said...

You are a genius!!! :) Your teaching skills and creativity at work!! Lovin it! Hopefully his obsession for dinosaurs won't go extinct too soon. :) By the way, the stegasaurus rules! It was always my favorite! :)

Sara said...

that is hilarious!!

Amie said...

Still searching for that perfect dinosaur...I don't want to disappoint him. I will keep you posted. Love you. Give Camaroo big smooches for me.