Update on Little's Man ER trip
As most of you guys know, yesterday Camden had a rash around his thighs and then later on in the day he began to hunch over in stomach pains, crying, began swelling up, 103 degree fever, and he then began to uncontrollably shake (all of this happened within 5 minutes of each other). Aaron and I grabbed our stuff and went straight to the emergency room. He was very lethargic while all of this was going on. Tests and Xrays were done, and they weren't quite sure what was wrong with him. They thought maybe a virus and an allergic reaction, but his symptoms weren't typical. We left last night, after his fever went down, and he started feeling a little better. I made an appt this morning to see Dr. McQ, Cam's pediatrician. Well, Camden and I spent most of the morning at the pediatricians office going through a bunch of tests. The results are in and Dr. McQ is confident Camden is suffering from... Henoch-Schonlein purpura.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlinep
Don't ask me to say it, because I have no idea how to pronounce it. His blood vessels inflamed, which caused the rash and intense abdominal pain and joint aches (which in turn caused the swelling, lethargy, and shaking because of the amount of pain he was in). He had been suffering from an ear infection and cold, and this is how is immune system reacted to all of this stuff. The good news is that It is very rare that it is chronic, it's not contagious, and it should clear up on it's own after a few days. Bad news is that there is nothing to give him for the pain, and in rare cases, the inflammations could lead to kidney issues. We've got the thumbs up for now after the platelet levels test and urine tests came back good. We are going in again for a follow up visit on Wednesday morning.
Camden seems to be feeling better. He is, at the moment, taking everything out of my kitchen cabinet, so things seem to be getting back to normal :-)
1 comment:
Oh, Amanda!! I'm so sad Camden has had to go through all of this. I'll keep your sweet boy in my prayers that he'll recover fully real quickly.
Post a Comment