Friday, June 29, 2007

A New York State of Mind

Aaron and I are in New York! Yes I left my sweet baby, and I even did it without tears (so far). This past week was crazy with Aqua Tots, laundry, packing, grocery runs, etc. Preparing for a vacation can be hectic... preparing for a vacation AND leaving a baby is a completely different ball game. Not only did I have to get everything ready for him, but I also had to write out his schedule for everyone who was hanging out with him this weekend. The schedule kind of turned into a little Camden Guidebook... yes, a guidebook. I went a little out of control with the instructions, I'll admit. I had this mental picture of me strolling down 5th Ave on my way to H&M, and suddenly I realize I forgot to tell them something "important" (like where I keep his bath towel) but I am aware that I am being ridiculous, so I won't call, but then I'll stress about it and ruin my H&M experience. I decided to choose my battles and leave detailed instructions on how to take care of little man, if only for my own sanity. Yes... there was even Clip Art involved... BUT I purposely did not create a title page... I thought that would be crossing the line.

We left for the airport at 4a.m. this morning, so I had to say my good-byes last night. I gave Camden big hugs and told him how much I loved him and that I would be back soon. He gave me a big smile and said a couple of "a-guhs". He wrapped his arms around my neck (little man is so cuddly), and I thought he was going to give me a big wet kiss, but instead he dropped his head and began to gnaw on my shoulder. It was close enough to a kiss for me. I love that little guy. We headed out this morning, and I resisted the urge to go into his nursery and pat him one last time. We all know how I feel about waking a sleeping Camden (completely unnecessary except for possible natural disasters, like tornadoes). It still didn't hit me that we were going to New York until we actually were in the taxi (as always, a near-death experience) heading to Midtown.

soooo.. we're here! After we checked into the hotel this afternoon, we stayed around 5th Ave and Rockefeller Center and just hung out. I love NYC for many reasons, but a new reason was added today: the discovery of an Anthropologie three stories tall! I found myself giddy, yet slightly overwhelmed. Where to begin?? Aaron had his own giddy moment in the NBC store at Rockefeller Center...there was an entire wall filled with Dwight Bobblehead Dolls from The Office. He could hardly contain himself. Our friend, Ben, met up with us at the Museum of Modern Art, and it was great to see him! He's one of our New York transplants from Oklahoma State. He's been in New York the last couple of years getting his doctorate at Columbia University. Anyway, we walked around MoMA for awhile, and then Ben took us to Hell's Kitchen for some AMAZING Italian food at this restaurant called Becco. We ate way too much, but we easily walked off our meal because we had to go all the way back to our hotel on the East side. We are wanting to catch up on our sleep, but it's a little difficult with the time change. We're hoping to get sleepy soon, so we can be halfway rested for all of the vay-cay fun. Pray that everything will go well and we'll get home safely! You might also want to add a little prayer for me because I'm doing well without Camden so far, but every time I see a baby I have this overwhelming urge to run over and give it hugs.

a side note- Aaron has requested that I begin to add hyperlinks to my blog... I think it's a bit ridiculous... but whatever.

1 comment:

Amie said...

I know you miss Camaroo, but try to enjoy your vacation. You deserve it. I know how you feel about seeing other babies out.. it's tough. Anthropologie three stories?? Wow. I am so jealous. Atleast you could have posted a picture of this!!! Love you.