Sunday, June 10, 2007

I couldn't make this stuff up...

We have had an interesting week to say the least. On Thursday night, I put Camden to bed around 9:00 and went to join Aaron in our bedroom to watch TV. It was stormy out, and I was praying it wouldn't wake up Camden. I had just gotten off of the phone with my mom when we heard this loud CRASH right above us! There were a couple of more crashes, and I heard Aaron yell "Get out now!" We haul out of the room and go outside to see a tree limb hanging off of our roof directly under the bedroom window. We looked closer to see that it had caved in the roof where it fell and had knocked out the soffit underneath. Because we were in the middle of a minor "monsoon" and it was dark, there was nothing we could do besides pray that the limb wouldn't do any more damage and water wouldn't leak through the attic. Right about then is when the tornado sirens start going off... This brought up a whole new issue. Do we wait to see if the siren turns off OR do we wake up Camden and head down to our basement? We all know how much it hurts me to wake a sleeping Camden, but I couldn't just wait a tornado siren out, so I went into the nursery, grabbed him, and headed down to our basement. He seemed pretty happy to be up and didn't mind hanging out in the basement for awhile. After the sirens turned off, we headed back up, and I thought (silly me) that Camden would go right back to sleep. Fast forward to an hour later with a wide-awake Camden and a roof that is still making cracking noises... Aaron has to get his ladder out and has no choice but to saw off the limb that is hanging off of the house because we are afraid the weight of it is doing more damage. Another hour goes by and the limb is off, but Camden is still in "play" mode. He doesn't go down until almost midnight, and we are both exhausted. Can things get any crazier??? Yes they can...
Where the tree limb hit our house.
Aaron cut part of the limb (bottom of pic) that was hanging off.

We had big plans for Saturday. My parents came up to hang out and watch Camden because we had planned a big anniversary dinner at Fleming's Steakhouse in Tulsa. Aaron and my dad went up on the roof that morning and discovered that they could repair the damage on their own (which was great because it turns out that our insurance doesn't cover wind damage). Aaron had to spend most of the afternoon on the roof, but he got things fixed, which was a big relief. It was 4:00pm, and he was putting up the tools and about to start getting ready for the big night out. Our reservations were for 7:00pm, and we were both so excited because not only is Fleming's amazing, but we also had a babysitter in town and chance to go out on a real date.
I walk out to the back porch and notice that he is tugging on a large cutting blade. The next few moments go something like this...

Me: What are you doing?

Aaron: This thing is stuck...

Me: (using my reserved sing-song voice every wife uses when she doesn't want to question or offend but can sense, thanks to the female instinct, that there just might be a catastrophe approaching) That doesn't look like the smartest thing to do...

Aaron: OW! (blood pouring out of right hand) I cut myself!

A few minutes later, we're in the car heading to the emergency room. Thank goodness my parents were at the house, so we didn't have to worry about taking Camden with us. I'm still thinking I'm going to be eating steak in a few hours because how long can it take to get stitches? (Silly me, again.) It apparently takes five hours (or it did that night) because Aaron and I did not walk out of that emergency room until 9:30 pm. No date... No steak... no anniversary celebration... BUT we did get five hours in a waiting room, 30 minutes in the hospital room, three stitches, and a Tetanus shot. Afterwards, we took our pity party to Quiznos and picked up some sandwiches to take home and eat. We didn't fall asleep until after 11:00 and for some crazy reason, Camden decided to wake up at 5 a.m this morning. I think the whole family has spent today trying to recover.

*sigh* This week we can count ourselves truly blessed because there could have been a LOT more damage to the house, and Aaron's cut could have been a LOT worse... but I would like to think I still would have counted myself blessed if we had gone out on our date and eaten a fabulous steak dinner. Oh well, another time and another place.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

http://inthemidstofit.blogspot.com/search/label/Bookworms
I didn't read your post yet, but I saw where you had commented on Hannah's about wanting a good book. This post from Sarah had lots of options, plus lots of commentors suggestions too...like I said I didn't read your post yet, but it didn't look pretty adn I am assuming it was from the tornado/storm that came through...sorry.

Hannah E. said...

I wish I had some good book recommendations for ya. Unfortunately, I haven't read any fiction lately because I've been so busy with other reading. But I really like stuff by Donald Miller right now....Blue Like Jazz and I'm wanting to soon read Searching For God Knows What. Its full of essays really....personal stories. They read very easily, are entertaining, and give a fresh unique perspective on Christianity it seems without really trying to. I want to read more fiction, but I have to really love an author, and right now I don't know of anyone that I'm just dying to read. So let me know if you find something worthwhile!!!