Monday, April 30, 2007

Under the Weather


Camden and I have been AWOL for quite awhile. Last Sunday was Addison's Super Sweet One party, so Camden and I went down to OKC join in the celebration. All three of us were going to come down, but Aaron and I decided that since the kitchen countertops were being put in during the week, it might be better for just Camden and I to stay in OKC until Tuesday. That WAS the plan. Anyways, Camden had a slight fever, 99.5, was a little congested, and drooling like crazy right before the party. I thought, Yes! Finally we are going to get a tooth!!!! He was so good during the party and was loved on the whole time. Camden and I were planning on surprising Grandma Terre at school on Monday, so we got everything ready for the next morning. He woke up at around 4a.m. crying. I checked his temperature because he was so hot, and he had 104 degree fever!!! I went in to wake my mom and tried to stay calm. We gave him some tylenol, stripped him down, and wiped him down with a cold washcloth. Thus began a week of one sick little baby. On Monday evening we decided to take him to an after hours clinic because little man would not stop crying. We were led into the patient room, and what does little man decide to do? He starts smiling and laughing so loud, they can hear it in the hallway! We were like, great Camden, they're really going to believe that you've been sick! Why do they always act fine when they are at the doctor's office??? The doctor checked him, and it turns out that he had an ear infection.

Camden and I were supposed to head back home on Tuesday, but that was out of the question. He was continually throwing up, having runny diapers, and suffering from his fever and ear infection. We all know that Camden and the car seat are enemies without complications such as these. Every time I think he would hold down his milk or medicine, he would throw it up. Every time I thought his fever had finally left for good, it would go up even higher. His fever didn't finally leave until Thursday! He finally started eating well on Friday. What a roller coaster! I have been pooped on, puked on, and in tears because I felt so helpless. How can you explain to a baby that he needs to drink something because he is dehydrated??? In a way, I was glad we were in OKC because I could not have gotten through Camden's first major illness without my mom. Sick babies are not for the weak, that's for sure.

Anyways, I decided to head back on Friday morning even though I was terrified of the car ride home. I didn't want him to go into one of his crying spells with his ear hurting. We said our "travel prayer" as usual, but I added an extra "please, please, please, let Camden sleep through most of it." Well, the prayer worked because he slept all the way until we hit Tulsa. When he woke up, he was doing so well playing with his toys. He was still happy until we hit Highway 75. I noticed they had shut down southbound 75, which majorly backed up the traffic on Northbound 75. Camden does not like to slow down while driving, so he started getting very angry. There were tons of highway patrol cars blocking entrances, and then we saw a bunch of motorcycle cops and a few cars heading southbound. I called Aaron because I thought there was a huge wreck, but it turns out that Vice President Cheney was in town to speak for Istook, and he happened to be driving by. Well, Camden could have cared less that he just saw the vice president; he was too busy crying because we had slowed down. It's a good thing that VP Cheney is not running again because I don't think he would have won Camden's vote in the next election. Camden cried off and on the rest of the way (thanks to VP Cheney), but then we finally made it home!!! Camden was so happy to see his daddy!

Best Buddies back together again!


The kitchen counter tops and black splash were completely finished, so it was nice to miss all of that mess! Camden is feeling MUCH better and is back to his happy self. We went to the doctor today for his 6 month appt. I wasn't too concerned about his weigh-in because I knew he had lost some weight last week. I'm a little sad to say that he is not off the charts in weight anymore. He is only in the 90th percentile weighing 20 pounds 4 ounces. His height is still at 95% with 28.5 inches. Still no sign of teeth though.

I have just about given up hope on cereal. We tried rice and oatmeal. We have tried it warm and cold. We have tried it with and without fruit. *sigh* He dramatically shudders sometimes because he thinks it is so awful. I'm about to head to the store and search for other options. He did like the cherry flavored Pedialyte... so maybe if I put that in the cereal...

2 comments:

Courtney said...

are you using breastmilk or water? jackson HATED it with breastmilk but seemed to like it with water. just a simple suggestion. glad you made it through the sickness...those are rough!

Amie said...

I am soo glad he is feeling better. Hopefully we will get to see you guys this weekend. Cute pic by the way.