Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Wednesday US Consulate Appointment and the River Cruise

Wednesday was a big day!  We had Vivi Cate's US Consulate appointment.  We finally had everything we needed to submit to the Consulate, and we could finally request Vivi Cate's US Visa. 
It took about an hour, we said an oath, and they checked our paperwork.  It took about an hour, but there are no pictures of appointment because cameras were not allowed in the room.


When we arrived, I noticed a line of hundreds of people outside the building.  I asked our guide what they were waiting for, and she said they were waiting to request a travel visa, so they could travel outside of the country.  I asked her how many applications were accepted, and she said only 20-30 percent.  I asked how they determined who could leave the country, and she shrugged and said it was up to whomever looked over their paperwork.  If the person was in a bad mood, they were denied. She didn't mention it, but I'm thinking money under the table may be involved.

If I've learned one thing,.  After observing life in a communist country,  I've never been more thankful for that blue book that gets me back to the States. 
All the chinese kids give a 'peace sign' when taking pictures. What they are really doing is giving a 'V' for 'Victory'.  Vivi Cate and I wanted to do that in front of the USA flag.  It was her first time to see one.

Working your way to becoming a US citizen is tough work, and she fell asleep on the way back to the hotel.

After her early nap, we went to back to the local Chinese restaurant we to the day before with our guide.  This time we just walked to it from the hotel.  When we stepped through the entry way, the room became silent and everyone turned to look at us.  I whispered to Aaron, "They're looking at us, aren't they?"  He smiled and nodded.  This lasted for about a minute until a waitress came over, and we charaded to tell her we needed a table for two.  Thankfully, she took us upstairs to an empty dining room, so there wasn't anymore staring.  After some pointing and more charading, we told her what we wanted to order.  Shockingly, we got most of our order.  For some reason, they did not understand 'fried rice', so I think she just gave up because we never got that or anything similar. 

I was trying to cut up some steamed pork dumplings for Vivi Cate, but I guess she got impatient because I looked over to see this...
Girlfriend had swiped a pork dumpling and was trying to shove the whole thing in her mouth. 


She was almost successful. 
and she was pretty proud of herself!

She is begining to play on her own now.  She likes to take her 'Mei Mei' baby doll and wrap it in her blanket. 
She will also pat it rather roughly and attempt to rock it.  She and Caroline are going to have fun playing dollies together.


Vivi Cate took another nap, so we decided to head out with the group and go on the Dinner Cruise. 



The food was not too great, but the views were wonderful.  It was a beautiful night, and Guangzhou lights up like Vegas!


Vivi Cate lasted a lot longer than I thought she would thanks to the second nap.


This is the Canton Tower.  It is the fourth largest free-standing structure in the world. 
and I'm guessing it's the most colorful!


Displays on buildings are typical.
I'm thinking Oklahoma could use a few of these!

Vivi started going downhill about twenty minutes left on the ride, but it wasn't too bad thanks to lots of animal crackers!  She was asleep within minutes of being in her crib, AND she slept in until nine the next morning! 

No comments: