Monday, June 22, 2009

Operation Pink is now complete... for the most part


It wasn't easy, folks. About the time we found out we were having a girl, we were going through Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University bible study. Poor Aaron was a bit overwhelmed with the shock of having a girl, re-doing nurseries, paying for prom dresses, wedding, etc. To ease the shock, I promised Dave Ramsey (a.k.a. Aaron) a budget number at the beginning of this thing ($200). Yes I was going to re-do an entire room for $200, and all I was re-using was the furniture, a diaper caddy, and a lamp base. I went over my budget a bit, but I don't think Paige Davis could have done it any better. A lot of people have been asking how my budget held up, so I thought I would tally up the cost with the pics. There were corners cut and sacrifices made *moment of silence for the crystal dresser knobs could not be*, but those things can be added in their own time, and I'm okay with that. I still think it ended up too pink, but people who have seen it said I'm just 'being pregnant'... whatever that means.

Side note: Please pardon the excessive and sometimes not-well-taken pics. This is almost everyone's first time to see the nursery, and it's the only time for most family members because they are eight hours away and will not be making the trip down here anytime soon. As for the quality of the pics... by selling some things we didn't need we were able to buy a new camera (yippee!), but it's fancier and we're just figuring out how to work everything on it (beyond frustrating!!!).

The
Chandelier
To actually get the chandelier up I thought I might have to threaten to 'out' Aaron and his random fascination with the whole Heidi/Spencer drama on The Hills. No threatening was necessary, and Aaron took it like a man when the fan went down and the chandelier went up. I was proud of him. He also said that he didn't mind if people knew he DVRs The Hills to watch what's going down with Spencer... we'll see if he minds now.
Anyway, the actual chandelier was a donation. Thanks Rusty and Chandra! I sanded the shiny gold chrome and Aaron sprayed a base coat and two coats of Candy Red paint on it. My granny is also sending me some crystal garland to give it a tiny bit of bling. Total: $18 for paint


The bedding...
I found this bumper online at Pottery Barn Kids on clearance for $18.99. I had been admiring those felt flower barrettes on some Etsy shops, so I thought it would be fun to make my own and sew them on there. I used the same felt for her name. I made the tutu dust ruffle out of many yards of red and hot pink tulle I found on sale. The two Pottery Barn Kids chamois sheets, two matching stroller blankets, and two matching changing pads I bought from Angela when she was selling off all of Paytie's baby stuff.
Total Bedding and bedding accessories cost: $70





Curtains
Even though the Dupioni silk was less than nine dollars a yard, these were still kind of a splurge. I used a cheap King sized sheet cut in half for lining.
Total cost to make both panels: $75



Shelves
The shelves are courtesy of IKEA, and I just placed some random things on there for the time being. Total: $40


Wall Art
Frames are IKEA and the fabric was whatever I could find on sale. I used green velvet ribbon and more felt to make the flowers. Total cost for all three pictures: $45.00




I had a bunch of extra materials leftover, so I bought a bulletin board and used what I had to decorate it. The Letter C was in the Target dollar bin, so I painted it and threw it on there as well. Total: $8.00



Changing Table
Nothing new went on here except for the lamp shade (and the PBK changing pad I included with my bedding). Little Man's old blue shade just wasn't working for the room. I left the green gingham diaper caddy cover because I needed something non-pink for my own sanity. My mom suggested that I sew a pink ribbon around the edge. It would have matched more... but I just couldn't add anymore pink to this room and be able to live with myself. Maybe when I'm not 'being pregnant' I'll change my mind.

I found the lamp shade at Target and was just going to leave it white. Last night, I decided that since the rest of the room was so gaudy, I would hurt the lamp shade's feelings if I left it out. I pulled out my leftover craft supplies, created these things, and glued them on here. Total: $5.99



Total Nursery Makeover: around $265.oo

Unfortunately, the makeovers aren't done yet because poor Little Man still has a blanket over his window where curtains should be and nothing on his walls. I have everything we need to finish thanks to some very cool donations, but I just need to figure out where to put all of it. I'm hoping to have his cowboy big boy room done by the time Caroline gets here. Does anyone know the best way to display a vintage kid-size western saddle? Anyone?

5 comments:

Misty said...

SOOOO super cute. I'm honored that you hand stitched a lot of that at my house while being chastised ;) It's way cute!! :)

Amanda said...

So cute! I've always thought a pink, red, and white nursery would be adorable. I love Valentine's Day colors. Sorry about the knobs ou wanted. Maybe the grandparents want to bless baby girl with those?

megan k said...

I don't know how to display a saddle, but the room is really cute! The flowers are super fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Captain Obvious says the best way to display a saddle would be on a pony! I'll see what I can Rustle up for Camden.

Hannah E. said...

Love it, Amanda! I'm real impressed with all the flower appliques!