Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Little Man's First Time to be a Total Punk!

Looks like he could do no wrong, right? Looks can be deceiving, my friends.


...so another "first" for me and Camden this past weekend... Saturday was the first time I have ever been embarrassed of Camden's behavior. I guess I should be grateful we lasted this long without one of these moments, right? On Saturday night, Little Man was playing with a couple of friends and was blatantly being a little punk. He yanked a book away from a little girl his age, smacked her on the arm, and then ran a tractor over another girl's face. After I gave him a "Oh no you di-nt!" (in proper Ebonics), I tried to calmly explain that he was not displaying appropriate behavior. He responded by throwing himself on the floor and screaming like a wild banshee. (Little Man seems to have a flair for the dramatics that I'm certain he gets from his daddy.)

My initial reaction was to immediately bust out the worn excuse "I don't know what's gotten into him! He usually doesn't act like this." I stopped myself and instead remained silent and red-faced. Let's be honest; when another mom says that more often than not you are thinking, Uh yeah right. Keep telling yourself that. But folks, my child usually doesn't act like that, and I don't know what has gotten in to him! I refuse to believe my child is beginning a defiant stage, so I've thought through possible causes for his banshee fits and have narrowed it down these...

1. The ever reliable excuse- teething. That eighth tooth is still trying to cut through... as it has been for the last month. Little Man must have bionic gums because although I can see the tooth perfectly on the surface, it will not cut through all the way. Darn those teeth!!!!

2. He overheard mommy and daddy planning their getaway to Seattle (Thank you, Government Stimulation!) and is upset that he'll miss out on the flying fish. Sorry Camden, you still have a couple of years before your first big trip, and you'll be seeing Mickey Mouse not Pikes Fish Market (you'll like Mickey Mouse better, trust me.)

3. He's still upset that Michael Johns got cheated out of being an American Idol finalist. I'm in complete agreement with Little Man on this one.

4. He had his 18 month shots last Thursday. Little Man didn't even flinch during the shot, and his mama couldn't have been prouder, but perhaps he experienced a delayed reaction three days later? (work with me, people.)

5. The final and most obvious reason...Little Man has heard all of the hype about the new Indiana Jones movie and has to wait another 11 years and six months to see it.

Trust me- His mommy and daddy will be going to see this on the first Camden-free night available... which unfortunately are few and far between.

3 comments:

megan k said...

I would start accepting the "Oh no you di-nt" stage. Chloe's there, but she has more of "Oh no you di-nt" moments. I bet that's Cam's thing, he's going to have moments where he loses his mind, just like we do, only we don't usually steal books or drive tractors over our friends faces. ;)

Sara said...

So I'm thinking the tractor thing might not be such a problem. Maybe he's telling you he wants to be a farmer when he grows up and he's showing you how he would plow the fields. Yeah, it's on a little girl's face, but even so, it's a possibility.

Jennifer said...

I agree with the Michael John thing. That has to be what was upsetting Camden.